Saturday, September 1, 2007
Wrinkles: Badges of Courage
I was in the Whole Body aisle of Whole Foods the other day when I started chatting with a woman who was looking for what she described as "a magic cream that will eliminate all of my wrinkles, at least until I can afford to have plastic surgery". I told her I thought she looked beautiful and I didn't even notice her wrinkles (which was true!), and then surprised myself when I heard myself say "I embrace my wrinkles - and consider them to be my badges of courage...I have lived through some very tough times and have come through it, and continue to do so each and every day. The wrinkles are a reminder that I may have a few scars from the battle, but that I am still here, still plugging away, still 'fighting the good fight' ".

There is nothing wrong with wanting to look your best...who knows, maybe I'd be contemplating surgery if my health circumstances were different. But I am in a place right now where I have two choices: to look at myself and see the imperfections, or look at myself and give thanks for my uniqueness, my specialness, the fact that I am here - yes, with a few lines and wrinkles...but the challenges life has thrown my way have also helped me to grow into a person I am proud of. So I choose not to focus on a few minor imperfections, but rather to see the beautiful person I am (or try to be!) on the inside. After all, isn't that what this journey called life is all about?? Andrea :-)