Friday, April 30, 2010
Finding the words...
As I was getting ready to sit down and begin writing I checked my emails and found a lovely note from an old friend. It was beautifully and eloquently written and I couldn't help but think, "if only I had that gift, if only I could find a way to express myself through the written word." And I had to laugh! Because here I sit every week - writing an article, or writing for this blog, or my blog for Wear Your Intention. And I wonder where I get the nerve to do it.

I am not a very good writer - people tell me I ramble way too much. Guess I write like I speak...never did have a knack for getting to the point, always needing to share all the little details. I think that must come from spending my youth listening to my mother's best friend, Marilyn. She was (is) a beautiful woman - beautiful red hair, always dressed perfectly, her make-up perfect. She would often stop by our house on her way home from work and sit at the kitchen table where I was doing homework, and would chat with Mom as she cooked dinner. Marilyn is the world's greatest storyteller. It takes her 30 minutes to relay an incident that would take most others 3 minutes. But she has a way with words - she makes even the simplest things sound fascinating. I could sit and listen to her tell stories for hours on end. To this day I look forward to our two or three times a year phone chats...they used to be updates about my mother's health, but now that Mom is gone, I find comfort in Marilyn's stories - chatting with her always brings back so many wonderful memories.

See what I mean - here I am, off topic, and rambling. What I started off wanting to say is this: Never let your lack of ability stop you from doing anything. I may not be a very eloquent writer, but I feel like I have a lot to say. Not everyone will like my delivery, some may not like the message. But there will be those who might learn something from the experiences I share, or perhaps it will spark an idea that leads them to better health or a happier life. I think skill is a great thing, but passion is better. Follow your passion. It may not make you a great writer, but it can lead you to rewards that can't be communicated with mere words. ~ Andrea :-)
1 Comments:
Anonymous Sandy R said...
You have already spoken to me... Oh so much dear!!!
~ Sandy