Sunday, December 6, 2009
Have A Little Faith...
Looking for a great book to give this holiday season? I just finished Mitch Albom's new book, Have A Little Faith, and loved it! It is the true story of his 8 year journey to get to know and better understand his childhood rabbi, who had asked Mitch to deliver his eulogy when he dies.

This is a beautifully written tale of how he reconnects with the man he feared and revered, and the spiritual lessons and evolution he underwent. Mitch intertwines this with the story of his meeting Pastor Henry Covington, who rise from a life of crime and drug addiction, to become a preacher to the poor and homeless.

No matter what your religious beliefs, this is a deeply moving, inspiring look at faith...and as Rabbi Harold Jushner describes, "...about the power of love to triumph over death, and the power of faith to us through the worst adversity." Senator Bob Dole offers this comment, "A timeless story...about faith, hope, and serving others, and the yearning to be involved in something greater than ourselves."

Here are a few excerpts that touched me:

"...if we tend to the things that are important in life, if we are right with those we love and behave in line with our faith, our lives will not be cursed with the aching throb of unfulfilled business. Our words will always be sincere, our embraces will be tight. We will never wallow in the agony of 'I could have, I should have.' "

"The things society tells us we must have to be happy - a new this or that, a bigger house, a better job. I know the falsity of it. I have counseled many people who have all these things, and I can tell you they are not happy because of them. The number of marraiges that have disintegrated when they had all the stuff in the world. The families who fought and argued all the time when they had money and health. Having more does not keep you from wanting more. And if you always want more - to be richer, more beautiful, more well-known - you are missing the bigger picture, and I can tell you from experience, happiness will never come."

"When a baby comes into this world its hands are clenched...because a baby, not knowing any better, wants to grab everything, to say 'the whole world is mine.' But when an old person dies, how does he do so? With his hands open. Why? because he has learned the lesson, we can take nothing with us."

"...the secret of happiness...be satisfied, be grateful for what you have...for the love you receive...and for what God has given you...that's it."

Read more on Amazon.com, or visit your local bookstore! It's a great book to give or get! ~Andrea :-)
1 Comments:
Anonymous Sandy said...
This books sounds marvelous.
I think I will order it to encourage myself to have more faith in my healing journey w/ the Creator... My Great Physician.

I've heard my father say the same thing about a child born w/ clinched fists and an old man dieing w/ open hands... Perfect analogy of life! We are always grabbing... not thankful enough.

I am almost convinced this type of living (grabbing) is a door that opened up the avenue of illness into my own life. I am now taking responsiblity for that.

Blessings n Peace~
Sandy