Wednesday, September 26, 2007
In An Instant...
Eight years ago I made a health decision that truly altered the course of my life. At the time I thought I was making a good choice, but it turned out that one decision led to a host of health problems that became completely and totally overwhelming. No sooner would I pick myself up, then something else would hit me like a ton of bricks. It got to the point where I developed the "what's next" mentality - always waiting for the next shoe to drop. Worst of all, I wasn't even aware I was doing this, and anxiety and fear became an accepted part of who I was.

As a fighter and optimist by nature I worked through every awful thing life threw my way, and eventually found myself in a much better place. But no matter how far from struggle I may have traveled, my body and mind remember. Regardless of the progress I make, the moment something happens to remind me of that difficult time or the uncomfortable symptoms I had, it all comes rushing back and I enter what I see now as "high alert"...anticipating the worst, waiting for everything to go wrong, to be back in that bad place again.

But I have learned much the last two years...I now have tools that help me to release the past, I work hard each and every day to refocus my thinking, and remind myself that although life can change in an instant, that doesn't have to mean something bad is going to happen. Life can change in an instant to blessings, good health, inner peace and love. I recognize the power of my thoughts and make the effort to use them to create goodness and draw positive things into my life. It isn't always easy, but is a choice - and I have chosen to find the peace, to look for the good, and to be the best me that I possibly can. ~Andrea