Saturday, June 26, 2010
Turn Helpless into Hope
I gave up watching the local news years ago. Seems all they ever have to report are murders, rapes, and robberies, and I just decided that listening to all negativity wasn't good for my health - mental or physical! So I made the newspaper my source of local news - each morning I scan the headlines and decide what I want to read, and what I don't. This way I can stay informed, but don't feel overwhelmed with continued exposure to the not-so-good news.

I've always enjoyed the national evening news...they seem to offer a broader view of world events and human interest stories you wouldn't hear about otherwise. But I find in the last two months I have a hard time watching any news. What is happening in the Gulf is devastating. My heart breaks for the people whose lives have been impacted by this disaster, as well as the wildlife and environmental destruction. What a helpless feeling to watch this unfold and not be able to do anything about it.

The sad truth is there are more things we can't control, than things we can. But the one thing we do have is the ability to filter the information that we expose ourselves to, and to process it in a constructive way. Be informed, but know that continued exposure to negative news can have a negative impact on the body, mind, and spirit. Remember too that hope is a powerful energy, and even in the most dire and seemingly impossible circumstances a dose of hope combined with the power of prayer can change everything. So if you too begin to feel overwhelmed by all that is going on, see it resolving in a positive way...pray for this outcome - and together we just may change the world!
2 Comments:
Anonymous Sandy said...
I have given up watching the news and tv almost completely....
It fills my head w/ "nothingness"... and w/ videos of funny things and meditation from youtube i have control of what fills my head...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I have been critisized by others for NOT watching the news... calling me an irresponsible citizen/American, etc.... but this came from the same mouth of a person who said "I HATE....(fill in the blank of several politician's names)... and I thought... You know... I voted as am American, I have written to NUMBEROUS soldiers overseas, I give money to the orphanage that raised my great aunts n uncles and I PRAY for my president... But HATE will never open the door to what we need in America. I watched during the preelection time to be informed on who to vote for. I didn't get my wish... but no problem... It's my job to pray and send our nation's leaders support and prayer for direction... not hate and fear!
This is MY opinion. You can chew up the meat and spit out the bones! But I refuse to HATE in the name of "politics"....
Nammaste~
Sandy