Monday, January 14, 2008
No Better Topic Than This...
There are several subjects I considered writing about today...and as I sat in bed making mental notes on each, I just happened to glance down at my feet where my loyal and loving companion, Hailee, is sleeping.

She is a 5 year old pug/shitzu mix who came into my life 5 years ago. Talk about divine intervention, or meant-to-be...

I was in a very difficult place at the time, my healing was slow going and I was really struggling. At the same time my son, who had just moved out on his own, decided to get a dog. A short time later he realized he wasn't quite ready for the responsibility and expense, and asked us if we would take the dog. It was hard to say no to such an adorable puppy, especially one with such a sweet and loving personality. And so my husband and I became "grandparents" for the first time...and have been blessed with an amazingly wonderful companion.

There are many factors that have contributed to my healing, but having this wonderful dog is surely at the top of the list. She didn't know or care about my health woes - all she knew is that she needed to get out for a walk several times a day, and since I was the only one at home, I had to force myself to get up and out, no matter how low my energy. And to my amazement I was able to do so more often than I would have thought possible. My stamina gradually improved and it is now a very rare day that I have been unable to enjoy our outings.

I also credit Hailee with helping me to lose a pound or two...I call it the "dog diet". I just can't seem to resist those soulful brown eyes staring at me when I eat, and so our deal is I will save her some of my food and she lets me eat in peace (well, most of the time!)...

The entire process of researching and creating Heal With Hope, as well as the other projects I am currently working on, occur while my loyal friend lays at my feet...or sits next to me...or rests in her dog bed in my office - and so I never feel alone. And when I need a little break she is always there to provide a welcome distraction.

Wherever I am or whatever I am doing, she is there offering her silent support. Loving me no matter what. She has been at my side through thick and thin, happy and sad, the good and bad.

I give the greatest of thanks for this most special and magnificent gift...I pray that I am blessed to have many, many more years to share life with my best friend, Hailee. ~Andrea :-)