Friday, July 24, 2009
From Type A to Type B...
I have no doubt that being a Type A personality contributed to the health problems I have struggled with for a good part of my life. It is inevitable that you are going to wind up paying a price if you are a people-pleaser. A perfectionist. And a person who pushes until you can't push anymore.

In the last few years I became more enlightened and recognized the importance of honoring my body, mind, and spirit. I believed I had moved past demanding so much of myself, though I would sometimes find myself unconsciously slipping back into those old patterns of pushing too hard, seeking perfection, and doing for others even when it was detrimental to my own well-being.

I have continued to work on this, and recently had some experiences that indicate I have made great progress. My life's passion is still helping others, I still try to give 100%, and I do believe in hard work. But as I have learned to become an observer in my own life, I am better able to recognize when I am crossing the line from doing good, to doing too much. When you are truly present in your own life, and are in touch with your inner guide, it is possible to be more in tune with what makes you feel good, and what feeds you, instead of depletes you.

I have found that working at keeping myself in the present moment has not only helped me to be more personally aware, but has also allowed me to have stronger, healthier relationships as I am now able to judge others less, and be more accepting of their limitations.

So if you are a Type A and want to change this pattern of behavior, pay attention to your actions and reactions....be an observer in your own life. Listen to the words you speak, and be mindful of the thoughts you think. Don't judge, just be aware. Of how these things make you feel, how they impact your physical body, your mind, and especially your spirit. Being present in your own life can help you to identify the behaviors that need to be worked on, and the patterns that need to be broken. You may not be perfect, but as a work-in-progress you may just find that you are happy to just "B"!! ~ Andrea :-)