Saturday, July 11, 2009
Summer Reading
Nancy Drew book. Shade tree. Cool drink.

Ahhhh...memories of summers past. I've always been a lover of books, and as a kid there was nothing I looked forward to more than coming home from the library with a stack of Nancy Drew mystery books. I would head for a nice shady spot under a tree, a cool drink by my side, and before I knew it the sun was going down and it was time to go in for dinner. Time would just fly by...no worry about chores that that were left undone, or the host of other things that kids worry about. Reading was my escape then, and it still is today.

Unfortunately these days I find good books too few and far between. But I got lucky recently and found two wonderful paperback books that I enjoyed so much I wanted to share them with you. I enjoy books with a fast pace, not overly detailed, well written, with a little suspense, maybe a little romance thrown in, and always a happy ending. The two books I am about to recommend meet all the criteria I just described, but you will have to decide for yourself if you consider them to have a "happy ending."

The Year of Fog
by Michelle Redmond
This is the story of Abby Mason, and the year she spent searching for her fiance's 6 year old daughter who went missing as she and Abby walked the beach. What I loved about this book was Abby's spirit and determination...as well as realizing how little we know about the power of the mind. For more details about this book: http://www.amazon.com/.





The Art of Racing in the Rain
by Garth Stein

I almost didn't puchase this because the main character is a race car driver - I am not a fan of racing, but when I read the first page and discovered it was narrated by his dog, Enzo, I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did. This is a very moving tale - I promise you that you are going to cry, but you will laugh too. What I loved most is the message of personal power that comes through...Enzo wisely realizes that we manifest our own destiny. Great read. More details: http://www.amazon.com/.


Whatever you do this summer, I hope that if you feel the need to "get away from it all," you will pick up a good book, and enjoy the journey... ~ Andrea