Thursday, December 25, 2008
The Greatest Gift of All...
I have always been a "material girl." I never seemed to have enough stuff - clothes, jewelry, the latest make-up, new furniture or accessories for my home...I was never really staisfied, always thinking that "if I could only have ____" I would be happy. Except that never seemed to happen, and so the cycle would continue...

As I became exposed to the teachings of spiritual masters such as Eckhart Tolle and Wayne Dyer, the awareness that things can never fill us, but that true happiness and contentment can be found only from a place of peace - the peace that exists in the present moment...the connection with that place of peace that lives deep within...and the peace that comes with acceptance that where we are, and what we have, are exactly as it is intended.

And so as I began to work at living in the present moment with positive intention and positive expectation, I found that looking back with regret or looking forward with anxiety, began to happen less and less. There are more moments of contentment with who I am, and with what I have. Sure I still love clothes and decorating my home, but I no longer expect these things to fill me.

This was no more evident than last night - Christmas Eve. I spent that evening as I have for so many years - my family together to share a meal and to exchange gifts. It is always an enjoyable time, but last night was even more special than usual. We ate the same meal we always do, and exchanged the same type of gifts...but instead of deriving pleasure from the food or in the material giving and receiving, I found myself completely present in the moment...truly aware, maybe for the first time, of the love and caring - and bond, that we all share.

As I reflect this morning on the special evening I shared with my family last night, I realize that I am the recipient of the greatest and most everlasting gift of all...I have been blessed to know moments of peace and love, shared with the people who mean the most to me. And so on this Christmas Day I give thanks for this most precious of all gifts, and pray that you too find your way to a place of inner peace and contentment. With blessings of peace and love, Andrea :-)