Friday, October 17, 2008
Your Feelings, My Feelings...
I knew that my blog post last week might offend some people, but I didn't realize the hostility and anger it would arouse. If you didn't read that post, I spoke about my support for Barak Obama because I believe his optimistic attitude, sense of hope, and ability to bring people together would help to move our country past the divisive atmosphere that that has eminated from Washington for the 8 years. I suppose a website about natural health and healing is not the place one would expect to read someone's political views, but to me the upcoming election is about more than political views, but about the kind of energy and attitude we want from our leaders. I strongly believe that the energy we put out is the energy that we attract and I personally want to elect a President who is positive, hopeful, and open-minded - not one who is angry and bitter.

This is my opinion, what I feel in my heart. I may be right, and I may be wrong...but these are the feelings I own. And I can tell you that in my experience people who judge other people's feelings are creating an unhealthy environment for themselves and the world. Sure I get annoyed when I feel strongly about something and others don't see things my way...actually I admit that I am a pretty opinionated person...but I have come to know that the only way to survive is to learn to accept that not everyone will agree with you, that people will disappoint you sometimes, and that things will not always go according to your plan.

I learned a very valuable lesson many years ago when my husband and I went on a Marraige Encounter weekend. The weekend is spent focusing on learning to communicate without judging. The premise is that "feelings are feelings, they are not right or not wrong - it is what someone feels and therefore should not be judged." This philosophy has served us well in our marraige - we just celebrated our 35th anniversary. And I also try to live by this in all of my relationships - as mother, friend, sister, neighbor and professional. It isn't always easy, especially when you are a know-it-all, as I can sometimes be. But I try to be aware of this and take great pains to remember to do my best to honor and respect other's feelings and opinions, particularly when they differ from my own.

I know in my heart that the people who criticized me did so because they too are worried about our country, their families, and their future. I pray for the day when we can all stop fearing one another because we have different opinions, or look different, or sound different. We all come from one Source...and that Divine Power is inside each and every one of us - black, white, yellow,Christian, Jew or Muslim...we are more the same than we are different. And if we focus on the similarities as opposed to the differences our lives and our world would be much the better for it. ~ Andrea :-)


1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
What I love about you is that the intention is always good, not manipulative or self-centered. On that note I also need to share that so many times I am fearful of expressing my perspectives in the way of politics and religion. I struggle with the sharp antagonistic attitudes of others who don't see the world the same way, and what could be a discussion of appreciation of each other's perspectives turns to an attack or judgement. I am not ALL that I believe on one topic but an amalgamation of many experiences, beliefs, and ideas. I am careful to ask that politics not be spoken at the dinner table with my family. I am anxious to share who I have already voted for on my ABSENTEE ballot - because this race is also filled with such explosive racism, anger, and verbal violence - NOT from our candidates, but from those who support them. It is terrifying. I love that you share your beliefs without fear, and take criticism in stride. I am so hopeful for change, and honestly, Obama helps to bridge a gap in society that has long needed a good "time out" in the "thinking chair." I don't think that the job of President is easy in any way, and it speaks a lot of a man who can weather the storm of hatred and lies, and continue to focus on taking care of our country. Thanks for sharing!!

E