Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Some Things Never Change (Thankfully)
It was twenty years ago and the first day of my new job as an advertising sales representative for a local newpaper. My boss, who had been in sales for many years asked me what my sales goals were, to which I replied "I suppose it would be to help businesses grow their business through advertising." Her reply? "Well, that's fine and good, but that's not a goal. Your goal should be the amount of sales you want to make in a day, a week, a month, a year..." And so began our frequent debate: my position was that I was going to work as hard as possible and make as many sales as possible while doing my best to serve the needs of my clients. Her argument was that without actual sales goals I had nothing to reach and strive for, and therefore I was seting myself up for failure.

Well it turns out she was wrong...at least partially. Not only was I successful in sales, but actually became the Sales Manager for this company, and later had even greater success at another company. But in some ways I suppose that my manager was right - having goals, or as I refer to them today - intentions - can be very valuable. Setting one's sight on what you want to achieve can be very positive, and can certainly help you to align your energy with what it is you want to attract. But I also believe intentions or goals that are strictly about material gain are often unrewarding or unsuccessful, because when desire stems from selfish motivation it is not as satisfying or meaningful. There's nothing wrong with wanting to attract abundance and financial security...but doing so from a position of helping others gives greater value and meaning to what may otherswise be self-serving motivation that may leave your pockets full but your spirit empty!

I am convinced that I was successful because my goal wasn't about how much I could personally achieve, but rather how I could help others to achieve their goals. And when I strayed from this principle, as I did from time to time, I know that the monetary gain was never as meaningful as it lacked the personal reward that came from knowing that I had helped myself through helping another.

I have recently started a new business and once again was asked what my goals for the business were. And as I thought about my answer I realized that the "goals" I have now are not much different from those I had years ago - to provide a means for others to achieve their goals. I know too that my success will never be defined by how much money I make, but rather by how many people I can help...and if I keep that as my focus, the rest will simply take care of itself...
~ Andrea :-)