Saturday, August 8, 2009
Lessons I've Learned From My Dog...
I've been blessed to have had several great dogs in my life, but none sweeter, smarter, or more loving than our pug/shitzu, Hailee. Hailee came to us about 7 years ago...my son had moved into his own apartment and decided he wanted to get a dog. He quickly realized that having a dog was more repsonsiblity than he could handle, and so Hailee came to live with us.

At the time I was in a really bad place healthwise. I was extremely weak and having vertigo problems...most days I could barely walk to the mailbox, let alone take care of and walk a dog. But as you know, when a dog has to go, a dog has to go...and being a very neat and fastidious person, I didn't want a mess in my house. So three times a day I somehow dragged myself to take Hailee out. And low and behold, in time my energy level began to improve - not a lot, but enough that most days I was able to get her out to take care of business. And on those days when I couldn't muster the strength to do it, Hailee would lay faithfully at my side - snuggled up offering comfort only a loving, sweet puppy can.

I've learned a lot from Hailee through the years, and thought I would share some of those lessons with you:

1. Love unconditionally

Dogs don't seem to mind if we've gained 5 pounds, don't have any make-up on, or are in a grumpy mood. How different would our relationships, and the world, be if we stopped judging people by their appearance, to be able to look beyond their faults and flaws, and were able to love them... just because.

2. If you can't get what you want, enjoy what you have

I admit it. When Hailee came to live with us all she ate was dog food. She never begged for table food...well, that is until about two weeks after she moved in with us. If I was enjoying something it seemed only fair to share it with her, and so Hailee developed a taste "people food." Her favorites are fruit, cucumber, sunflower seeds, and of course any kind of meat. But when we don't have extras, or there isn't enough to share, she will trot over to her bowl and chow down on her dog food. It may not be her first choice, but it's food, and so she eats with gusto, happy to have something to satisfy her hunger.

3. Take time to smell the roses

If you really observe them, dogs do more than just sniff for scents from other dogs...at least Hailee does. When we are out for one of our 3 daily walks she always takes time to stop and look around, observe her surroundings. Taking in the scenery...then a few deep sniffs into the air to really bring herself into the moment.

4. Make time for simple pleasures

Take naps. Enjoy belly and back rubs! Roll around. Be happy. Give love. Accept love. Just be.


~ Andrea :-)