Saturday, September 13, 2008
What really matters...
It has been heartbreaking to watch thousands of people being forced to evacuate their homes the last few weeks - storm after storm has forced so many to flee, often with little time to grab what they can and leave.

Which started me thinking about what I would take with me if I was forced to leave our home in just a moment's notice. As I make a mental list of the absolute necessities I would take, I realized that all of the "things" that have always seemed so important - the furniture, the accessories, the stuff - really don't matter that much after all. I love to shop...and probably always will...and I do enjoy having a nice home...but all of those beautiful things that I painstakenly shopped for are just that, things. They can be replaced, so if I had to leave it all behind it really wouldn't matter much, because the truth is, it's just "stuff."

What does seem important? The same things you hear people say they grabbed as they hurried from their homes, or the things you see people searching for in the aftermath of destruction of their home: the family photos and mememtos. I suppose that is because all the "stuff" can be replaced, but the memories of the people and good times we shared with them, exist only in our minds, or in the snapshots we took, or the souveniers we bought to serve as a reminder. As I look around my home those are the things I would be devastated to lose - my kid's baby pictures, photos of my parents who are no longer with us, the little mementos we've picked up through the years. Perhaps some of my little angels and tiny buddhas that I have been given by friends and family would make their way with me...but as I look around there is not anything else that I could not live without, because it can all be replaced. As long as my family and our pets were safe and at my side, all would be ok.

Well actually there is one very vital thing that would absolutely have to go with me - my little make-up bag!! Really, I could survive without most anything, but please don't ever ask me to give up my lip gloss, mascara, and powder...there comes a time in life when those things move from the frivolous list to the necessity list!!! So the make-up bag in on the list of non-negotiable items I am taking with me!!

On a more serious note, my prayers are with those who have been forced to flee their homes...I pray they will be able to return to find their lives in tact...their homes still standing, their possessions awaiting them, but most of all their family and friends safe. ~ Andrea :-)
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I haven't had time to read your blog since you found the frog in the toilet so took a few minutes to catch up. I just love that my long-time friend (avoiding the 'old' word!)is so very smart and inspiring. Happy to learn that positive thoughts work with office machines - I'll try that the next time one doesn't cooperate! Keep up the great work. Sue