Saturday, March 22, 2008
If I Knew Then...
This is such a special time of year for me - spring, my favorite season, has arrived...and my daughter and I celebrate our birthdays within days of each other. It has become a family tradition for me to write a poem to celebrate our special events...especially birthdays. Because this last year has been such an amazing period of spiritual growth and enlightenment for both of us, I decided that instead of the traditional rhyme, I wanted to write something special for her...and I know she wouldn't mind if I shared it with you:

If I Knew Then What I Know Now…

I would live a life without regrets.
I would know the past is just that…
it is over and done, and can’t be changed –
no matter how hard I try.

I would see worry and fear for what they really are:
a waste of energy…because the only power I have
is over this moment, right here, right now.

I would recognize the power of choice
that is mine in every situation in my life…
and would use it to focus on the positive,
the lessons, the possibilities.

I would live in acceptance of my limitations and faults,
as well as those of others. I would always remember
that I may not be perfect, but that’s ok.

I would allow myself to only count
the blessings and live in gratitude...
and I would know that wanting and needing
are definitely not the same thing.

I would see difficulties and
challenges for what they really are:
opportunities to learn, change and grow.

I would love myself for who and what I am...
in spite of my flaws and imperfections,
and I would always embrace the fact that
I am a work in progress.

I would know that caring, sharing
and giving are really the greatest gift
I can give to myself, and others.

I would make the most of each and every moment,
because I know how precious they really are.
Most of all, I would live my best life...
because I know that is the only way to honor myself,
and God.

~ Andrea :-) 03/08